Diet for Cancer Patients
Cancers are genetic changes in the human body that lead to the uncontrolled division of harmful cells. These harmful cells are usually old cells that have not died and have now grown uncontrollably to form abnormal cells. These cells spread into the surrounding healthy tissue and cause genetic changes in the cells of those tissues, making them cancerous. Genetic changes refer to changes made in the DNA of the cells. This is harmful to the human body and requires treatments that can be harmful.
So as to keep oneself healthy, people suffering from cancer should usually adopt a different diet. They would not be able to consume certain foods as they would do more harm than good. There are also some foods that should be added to one’s diet, which could help in fighting off cancer by boosting their immune system. It is also advised to have health insurance that covers cancer because the treatment expenses are increasing day by day.
Foods Items that Cancer Patients Should Avoid
Some of the foods to be avoided for people suffering from cancer include:
- Excessively oily, sugary, or salty foods
- Processed meats like sausages, ham, and bacon
- Red meats
- Animal proteins which are cooked in excessive oil
- Overcooked food
- Excessive amounts of sugary foods
- Some dairy products
These foods pose a greater risk for cancer patients and hence should not be consumed and should be omitted from their diet.
Foods Beneficial For Cancer Patients
The foods that should be included in cancer patients’ diets are:
1. Cruciferous Vegetables: Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, brussels sprouts, bok choy, cauliflower, collard greens, and kale are to be consumed, as they contain certain specific chemicals which can have cancer-fighting properties. The glucosinolates in these vegetables can help in warding off cancer symptoms.
2. Fruits: Fruits that are rich in antioxidants and vitamin C make for an excellent inclusion in one’s diet. Fruits like bananas, kiwi, guava, apricots, strawberries, and other berries, figs, and prunes make excellent choices as all of them contain good amounts of these required antioxidants and vitamins.
3. Seeds and nuts: Seeds like flax seeds and nuts like almonds are shown to have good effects on the body which help to promote the process of getting rid of cancerous cells.
4. Spices: Some spices are known to have medicinal properties which may help in this scenario
5. Legumes: Legumes are healthy foods to be included as they act as a great source of protein
6. Beans: Beans like soy also provide good sources of protein to the body
7. Olive oil: Olive oil is known to have many amazing qualities and does not cause food to become excessively oily, which is great for cancer patients.
8. Garlic: Garlic has medicinal properties and has been used as medicine since olden times.
9. Honey: Honey consumed in moderate amounts is known to have antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Therefore, including these foods in one’s diet can impact your health greatly. These foods or a combination of these foods can be made into a balanced diet, providing optimal nutrition to the patients fighting cancer and can even help them in fighting off cancer. Red meats and grilled meats can cause harm to the patient’s life, and hence should be avoided. By consuming these healthy foods listed above, cancer patients can give the best chance to fight and ward off cancer.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.