Remedies for Cold and Flu to Give Quick Relief
With the winter around the corner, almost everyone is struggling through the common cold and flu. When we get cold, the symptoms of it increase the irritability to a greater extent. The basic symptoms of cold and flu include sore throat, running nose, headache, congested nose, sneezing, or cough.
Remedies to Aid With Cold or Flu
These are some effective techniques that can be done when having a common cold. These would help in relieving the symptoms. Here are some fast relief remedies that would be helpful when someone has a cold or flu.
1. Clean Your Nose Often: With the congestion in the airway, we feel suffocated and it results in breathing through the mouth. Instead of sniffing the phlegm back, you should blow your nose often. This would prevent the germs in the phlegm from going back to the body as this might affect the functioning of the lungs.
2. Cleanse Through Saline Water: Warm saline solution gives relief when the nasal passage gets blocked. Mix ¼ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of baking soda in lukewarm water. Pour this solution into a bulb syringe or massage irrigation kit and slowly gush through one of the nostrils while closing the other one. This would drain the phlegm and soothe the nasal passage.
3. Take Hot Beverages Frequently: Common cold affects our throat, and we feel difficulty in swallowing too. Try to take hot beverages like tea, coffee, soup, etc., frequently. This would give instant relief to a sore throat.
4. Take Steam: Steam inhalation seems to have an instant effect on the common cold symptoms. You can take ¼ teaspoon Vicks or 2-3 pieces of menthol and put it in boiling water. Cover your head with a towel and try having the steam. You can inhale the steam from one nostril and exhale from another. Repeat this 2-3 times a day. This would give a quick relaxation. The vapourised menthol has a great effect on the sinuses.
5. Gargle: Start and end your day by gargling. This moistens the sore throat and provides instant relief. Mix a half teaspoon of salt to warm water. If you do gargling before going to bed, this will act like a heat compress that relaxes the throat muscle.
6. Proper Medication: Take proper medications if you have a fever or severe cold. These drugs have pain-relieving properties and would prevent from worsening of the condition. Medications like antihistamines, decongestants, lozenges, etc. relieve pain, fever, or other symptoms.
7. Hot-Cold Packs for Sinuses: Hot or cold packs can treat nasal congestion. Try to have some temporary hot or cold packs from a drug store. Else you can use a frozen peas bag or a soaked cloth with warm water. This would open up the passage and ease your breathing.
8. Ginger Tea: Ginger has the highest curative properties among species. Boil some ginger slices in water and mix some sugar in it. You can also add milk to it if you like. Ginger tea is very beneficial while treating the common cold or flu.
Although we can do numerous remedies to treat the common cold and flu, it will take some time to get healed properly. Common cold or flu is a sign that germs have entered our body, and the symptoms are proof that our body is fighting with the germs. So get proper medications and an adequate amount of rest to get better quickly. It is also recommended to get a health insurance with OPD coverage so that the treatment of such diseases may be covered as well.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.